Wow
what an emotional day today was! Luckily I woke up feeling better as I spent
the whole of yesterday off work in bed. My migraine finally decided to subside in
the afternoon after 72hours. Mart and I were up at the hospital at 9 am this
morning to see the specialist sonographer. We spent the first half and hour or
so in a room with him and the midwife running through the pregnancy again being
asked the same questions on fertility treatment and whether anyone had spoken
to us about the risks and the options we had. I’d been waiting for this bit...
I wanted to point out my frustration of the fact that we hadn’t had any contact
from the hospital for two weeks, which I thought was quite odd as I knew he was
about to launch into risks and reduction. You really would think that if this
is the route they encourage that it wouldn’t have taken someone two weeks from
the first scan to sit us down and discuss this. It almost seems like a life
time since the last scan two weeks ago, but I decided to keep my mouth shut as
I do understand NHS hospitals and staff are busy and I’m
very grateful for the care I receive. After making us aware of all
the risks invloved in a multiple pregnancy he gave us the following options.
- Termination of the whole pregnancy
- Selective reduction (probably of the monochorionic pair)
- Continue with the pregnancy and take it one step at a time.
It
was a lot of information to take in in such a short space of time and even
though we had read up about all of the risks he had brought up and decided to
continue with the pregnancy prior to today, it was very emotional to have to be
bombarded with it all in such a matter of fact fashion. I hoped nothing had
changed in Martins head about the whole thing as I looked to him to get the
reassurance I needed to confirm with the specialist that we had decided to go
with ‘option 3’ as he had put it. He then went on to make sure I understood
that all aspects of the care would be difficult including scanning and problems
detecting growth restriction and malformations. He then spoke to me again about
the risks of pre-eclampsia, anaemia and bleeding. We confirmed with him again
that we would like to continue with the pregnancy so we went off for the scan.
The
scan then presented its own emotional twists and turns. Quite soon into the
scan the sonographer thought that he saw an empty sac so told us that ‘nature
had taken its course’ I thought that’s what I heard him say so I quickly jumped
on him asking him what exactly he’s meant by that. He said that one of the
babies had died. I wasn’t ready for the way I reacted to this news. My body
went numb and a wave of sadness washed through me. I started to cry (as quietly
as possible) as I knew that this was going to be a possibility all along. As
much as you mentally prepare yourself for these things, you can never tell how
it’s really going to feel. It made me realise just how attached I was to these
tiny little babies inside me already. I couldn't look at the screen after that. The
thought of losing any of the others after seeing them wasn’t easy for me. Mart
looked at me and stroked my hand, but also shook his head as if to say, it’s ok
the baby is fine. Just as he did that the sonographer stopped and said ‘oh I’m
really sorry I think I’ve made a mistake, here’s the fourth baby and it has a heartbeat’
he basically just couldn’t see the third sac and baby when he initially looked.
What a flip of emotions in such a short space of time. The rest of the scan
went fine. All babies roughly measure 59mm with all body parts appearing
normal. Their nuchal translucency was also measured to screen them for Down
Syndrome. These all came back as 1:4503 which is very good.
We left feeling a mix of emotions. We are so happy that everything is ok, but it was such an emotional drain on the mind and body. I really hope we aren’t going to feel like this every time we go for a scan!
We left feeling a mix of emotions. We are so happy that everything is ok, but it was such an emotional drain on the mind and body. I really hope we aren’t going to feel like this every time we go for a scan!
So
here are the babies. The scan pics aren’t very good this time.
These
are the twins who are both on my right
Finally here’s number four who is above baby one on my left.
Finally here’s number four who is above baby one on my left.



No comments:
Post a Comment