What
a pleasure it was to meet my specialist obstetrician for the first time today.
She instantly put me at ease and I felt incredibly confident in her ability and
in safe hands. We had a frank discussion about the risks for the babies and me
again and I made it very clear that up to now I had felt pressured and
uncomfortable with the continued ‘advice’ to terminate or reduce the pregnancy. She
explained that it was only that they see a number of cases ending with a
negative outcome. I can
completely understand this but I explained that I was more than aware of all
the potential risks involved and the decision to proceed with the pregnancy
wasn`t any easy one. As I had explained
to our fetal medicine specialist if this was an ‘assisted’ pregnancy to begin with I could
probably consider selective reduction, but I am not able to think about
something like this when we’ve not intervened in any way to fall pregnant with
these four little miracles. I need to trust my heart and my instincts and let
this play out organically no matter what the outcome. She explained to me that
if the twins did start showing signs of TTTS they could look at laser of the
placenta to split it in half, but obviously with the four of them anything we
might try and do to save the twins could affect the other two. It hurts to
think that I could risk the lives of all four of them but I truly believe that what is meant to be will be. I had my
cervix measured as well which looked good and they will now measure it every
two weeks to monitor any changes. If it does shorten they will need to consider
a cervical stitch which stitches it closed and hopefully delay the onset of
labour. As with everything else this carries a high risk of miscarriage, so
let`s hope that it doesn’t come to that! Otherwise all’s fine and I just need
to carry on eating, sleeping and taking my Iron and Asprin.
Aspirin is not allowed when pregnant, it can harm the babies, I dont remember where I have got this information from, but please research this and dont take aspirin. The only "safe" when pregnant is parcetamol (if you must than with codeine sometimes).
ReplyDeleteHi There, Thanks so much for you comment. In usual circumstances it's probably not a good idea, but I have been prescribed a small dose of x1 75mg tablet a day. As far as I am aware this is to help prevent preeclampsia as I am at a far higher risk with 4 placentas. Em x
ReplyDeleteThat is a highly unhelpful comment and untrue. I have been prescribed aspirin by my consultant for a potential blood clotting issue and was told that in such small doses it will cause no harm even if I don't have thrombo-whatsit. I know a number of other women who have also been prescribed aspirin in pregnancy with a previous history of stillbirth or pre-eclampsia. I'd hate for Emma to be scared by this sort of comment.
ReplyDeleteR