Thursday, 16 February 2012

WK27: Day 4 - 2lb Babies

I’m feeling very positive again after the scan yesterday. All our boys are still growing as they should be, and there’s no sign of any abnormalities, problems or fetal distress. You won’t believe how little space there is in there, they’re literally crammed up against each other so for them to still be happy and well is a blessing. They did me proud again and reached the weights of at least two pounds which I was hoping for. Babies born at 2lbs or more tend to have less hearing and retinal problems later on in life. So their weights are;

Baby 1 - 2lbs
Twin 1 - 2lbs
Twin 2 - 2lbs 3oz
Baby 4 - 2lbs 8oz

My TVS scan was quite an eye opener. It showed that my cervix has shortened a centimeter in two days rather than the millimeters we were watching it go down by in the last couple of scans. Without wanting to tempt fate by putting a time frame on things we can only assume from this that things could start to progress very quickly from now. I'm scared but I'm feel confident and ready if I have to be. If my labour with Luke is anything to go by then I need to be checked and watched quite regularly. With him I dilated to 7cms without any regular or particularly painful contractions, and it wasn’t until a routine check a 40+5 days that they discovered this and sent me straight to the birthing unit. Everyone here is doing a great job of keeping an eye on me. An anesthetist came and spoke to me yesterday and ran through the procedure of a general and an epidural. I would ideally like to be awake for the surgery but they’ve advised if they have to move quickly because the babies are in distress or I'm bleeding a general is the only way forward.

Here we all are at 27 weeks


I sadly missed out on a very special friends birthday on Tuesday so I just wanted to send tons and tons of love and belated birthday wishes to the one and only DK. Donna you’re a super star and I love you loads! HAPPY 40th DARLING xxx

8 comments:

  1. Hello my darlin' Cuz! So please to hear that everything is going as well as you had hoped. I think of you everyday. I love you lots xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma - Such fantastic news you're still holding on. My three were born at 28 +4 after 4 days of my consultant trying to stop my spontaneous labour. They're now happy, healthy almost three year olds. Keeping my fingers crossed, every day makes a difference. Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're doing fab Emma, Keeping my fingers crossed they stay tucked up a little while longer xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emma
    Sounds like you're doing really well! Keep it up!
    Maggie (Tamba)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emma, you are doing so well, I come to your blog everyday to see how you are all doing, it's such great news that they are still tucked up inside! And you look amazing! That bump is something to be proud of! Im currently 18 weeks with identical twins and I'm already feeling a strain! You are doing an amazing job! Hang in there and take care. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there Em and Boys!!! You're doing a great job!! Mwaah sending big kisses and hugs xxxxooooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Em, Wow, yes, I'm in agreement with everyone here - you are doing so so well! I honestly believe attitude counts so much towards what happens within us, and while you have four other little agendas to cope with (!) your attitude is so positive, and so determined, and that's no doubt helped your boys feel safe enough to stay put until now. Whatever happens from now on - who knows of course, you're getting to that stage where, as you say, anything can happen. But you have been through quite a bit to get to this point, and that is such a fantastic achievement. Of course you're anxious - I was scared with twins. But trust your sense of readiness in those moments of fear.... Very best of luck, I'm sure Ed & Laura will keep me posted, and I'll check in here too of course xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. little 2lb stars, well done! lots of love

    ReplyDelete